Week’s Objectives: After CLOSE READING reading Mark Twain’s The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” along with “The Lowest Animal,” students will be able to discuss views of JUSTICE in Socratic Seminar Discussion and write a paragraph that analyzes REALIST FEATURES and evaluates arguments and use of ethos, pathos, and logos as support.
3.2 Progress Check on Mark Twain
* Compare realist features of Mark Twain’s essay “The Lowest Animal” and “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”
* What ideas about JUSTICE are conveyed through both texts?
* How does Twain use the rhetorical triangle to communicate REALIST VIEWS AND PHILOSOPHICAL ATTITUDE?
3.3 JUNIOR GUIDANCE UNIT DAY 1: SOCRATIC SEMINAR DEBRIEF, & Introduction to Ambroce Bierce: Ambroce Bierce’s Civil War
3.4 JUNIOR GUIDANCE UNIT DAY 2: Read “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.”
3.6 “Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge.” Dialectical Journal & SOAPS
3.7 Homework: Read Kate Chopin’s “The Story of An Hour” and be prepared to compare elements of PSYCHOLOGICAL REALISM with Bierce’s “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”
UNIT GOAL: Write an expository essay that evaluates how REALIST artists and author’s effectively use ethos, pathos, and/or logos to communicate and support and their ideas about (in)justice.
Week’s Objectives: After reading Ambroce Bierce’s short story, “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” students will be able to write a paragraph that analyzes and evaluates the author’s philosophical attitude and use of ETHOS, PATHOS, and LOGOS as support.
3.2 “The Lowest Animal” Progress Check will measure ability to:
* Describe Mark Twain’s background.
* Identify and evaluate the author’s philosophical view and attitude in “The Lowest Animal”
* Explain how the author’s use SATIRE and IRONY in addition to the rhetorical triangle helps to convey views.
3.3: JUNIOR GUIDANCE UNIT: Socratic Seminar Debrief Evaluation & Ambroce Bierce Background: Ambroce Bierce’s Civil War & Bierce Notes
3.4 JUNIOR GUIDANCE UNIT: Bierce Notes & Close Read:“Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.”
3.5 “The Lowest Animal” Progress Check Peer Revision and Evaluation
3.6 “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” using Dialectical Journal & SOAPS
Watch Twilight Zone Episode of “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”