English 3P Honors Unit Goal:
After reading and analyzing Jhumpa Lahiri’s The Namesake, students will write an essay that analyzes how the author conveys THEME of ASSIMILATION through the use of plot, characters, and conflicts.
” He had tried to correct that randomness, that error. And yet it had not been possible to reinvent himself fully to break from that mismatched name.”
- What are Jhumpa Lahiri’s views of ASSIMILATION and the immigrant experience?
- How does LAHIRI reveal her views and ideals in her novel, The Namesake?
- What THEMES are revealed and what lessons are to be learned from its symbolic characters and the outcome of events?
Objective 1: Discuss and Connect to Context
- Pre-Discussion: Assimilation to What? by George Llopis
- Discussion: Socratic Seminar
- Post-Discussion: Socratic Seminar Evaluation & Final Thoughts
Objective 2: Analyze plot, characters, conflicts, as they relate to theme of ASSIMILATION.
1. Pre-Reading: Author Background
2. Reading: Complete Chapter Summary that Answers The Namesake Reading Questions
3. Post Reading: “From Calcutta to Suburbia” by Michiko Kakutani
Objective 3: Write an Analytical Essay that examines plot, characters, conflicts, as they relate to theme of ASSIMILATION.
I. Pre-Writing: Timed Write Prep Tool
II. Writing: The Namesake Revised Essay Resource List
III. Post-Writing: Rubric